Revenue Protection and Loss Analysis
Utilities substantially reduce tariff collection losses by automatically identifying meter or grid tampering. Power-C Metering Africa’s hardware and software continuously monitors and calculates energy losses, looking for changes in power consumption behavior of users which show an un-normative consumption profile.
By installing a master meter at the output of the LV transformer, Power-C Metering Africa can measure the total power consumption of the root. All the meters under the same root report total consumption. This line loss analysis enables the system operator to identify tampering within each network root.
Alert notifications are automatically programmed into the system to send an SMS or email to the system operators providing real time notification of losses for rapid response.
By calculating the line loss, the distributor may pay the supplier only for the real consumption. This data is essential to determine the losses on the power lines, which can extend up to 9% depending on the infrastructure.
The data from installations show that the investment payback period for the utility is very short (in some cases a few months).
The Electricity Meters alert the operator in the following tamper attempts:
- Bypassing meter
- Bypassing neutral Inter-changing incoming and outgoing leads
- Reversing the connections in one or two phases of 3 phase meters
- Inter-changing phase and neutral and providing a local earth to act as neutral
- Breaking of CT lead wires in one or two phases
- Breaking seals and tampering with the recording mechanism, resetting the reading, etc.
- Tapping off from the service main before the meter
- Tapping off from the incoming lead wire Transformer
- Theft Detection
Power-C Metering Africa has developed a standalone product called In-Track.
- Inbuilt GPRS modem and GPS location based IC for enabling the identification of the unit’s location.
- Monitors the availability of power on the line, and when the transformer is removed and power is cut to the lines it can send an automatic alert to 8 different phones with the real-time current location of the unit.
- Installed within transformer in an imperceptible location.
- Back-up battery power supply.